|Course Name||Certificate IV in Outdoor Recreation|
|Accreditation||Accredited under Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) & recognised Australia-wide|
Depending on the specialisations chosen, this qualification provides the skills and knowledge for an individual to be competent in:
Guiding outdoor recreation activities in an uncontrolled environment
It requires technical knowledge of the outdoor recreation activity to be transferred to allow individuals to safely participate in the outdoor activity. It does not provide the skills and knowledge to impart the required level of technical knowledge and expertise to allow participants to independently undertake outdoor recreation activities.
A guide operating in an uncontrolled environment has the skills, knowledge and experience that enable them to work independently within a variety of settings and contexts that may be complex and non-routine.
Instructing outdoor recreation skills
An instructor has the skills, knowledge and experience to facilitate skill transfer or development to clients in order that they may participate independently (or with minimal supervision) in outdoor activities. This requires the instructor to be able to:
- transfer required technical skills and knowledge to participants
- apply a variety of appropriate instructional strategies
- critique participants technique
- assess participants skill and knowledge acquisition during and at the end of a program or session
- In all cases those with this qualification would be managing expected and unexpected situations with considerable autonomy. Leadership, guidance and supervision are involved when organising activities of self and others, as well as contributing to technical solutions of a non-routine or contingency nature. Work would be performed in field locations with varied contexts requiring contingency planning and in differing environments such as water-based, dry land and mountainous terrains, using a diverse range of equipment.
The following are indicative job roles for this qualification:
- outdoor guide (uncontrolled environment)
- outdoor instructor.
No licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this qualification at the time of endorsement.
Entry to this qualification by persons without prior outdoor recreation industry experience or formal qualifications is not recommended.
Examples of sufficient relevant skills and knowledge for entry into the qualification may include:
- Previous qualification at the AQF level below
- Previous experience in the outdoor recreation industry and interest in outdoor pursuits
Entry into this qualification and progression between qualification levels will be based on the professional judgement of the RTO, in consultation with the individual.